Associate Professor, Ph. D.
Principles of Informatics Research Division, National Institute of Informatics/
- Prof. Dr. Nobutaka Ono received the B.E., M.S., and Ph.D degrees in Mathematical Engineering and Information Physics from the University of Tokyo, Japan, in 1996, 1998, 2001, respectively. He joined the Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, the University of Tokyo, Japan, in 2001 as a Research Associate and became a Lecturer in 2005. He moved to the National Institute of Informatics, Japan, as an Associate Professor in 2011. His research interests include acoustic signal processing, specifically, microphone array processing, source localization and separation, and optimization algorithms for them. He is the author or co-author of more than 180 articles in international journal papers and peer-reviewed conference proceedings. He was a Tutorial speaker at ISMIR 2010, a special session chair in EUSIPCO 2013 and 2015, a chair of SiSEC (Signal Separation Evaluation Campaign) evaluation committee in 2013 and 2015. He was an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing during 2012 to 2015. He has been a member of IEEE Audio and Acoustic Signal Processing (AASP) Technical Committee since 2014. He is a senior member of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, and a member of the Acoustical Society of Japan (ASJ), the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communications Engineers (IEICE), the Information Processing Society of Japan (IPSJ), and the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE) in Japan. He received the Sato Paper Award and the Awaya Award from ASJ in 2000 and 2007, respectively, the Igarashi Award at the Sensor Symposium on Sensors, Micromachines, and Applied Systems from IEEJ in 2004, the best paper award from IEEE ISIE in 2008, Measurement Division Best Paper Award from SICE in 2013, the best paper award from IEEE IS3C in 2014, the excellent paper award from IIHMSP in 2014 and the unsupervised learning ICA pioneer award from SPIE.DSS in 2015.
- 1996 B.E. from Department of Mathematical Engineering and Information Physic (MEIP), School of Engineering, the University of Tokyo, Japan
- 1998 M.E. from Department of Mathematical Engineering and Information Physic (MEIP), Graduate School of Engineering, the University of Tokyo, Japan
- 2001 Ph.D. from Department of Information Physics and Computing (IPC), Graduate School of Engineering, the University of Tokyo, Japan
- 2001 Research Associate at Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, the University of Tokyo. (Responsible for Information Physics Lab #3)
- 2005 Lecturer at Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, the University of Tokyo. (Responsible for Information Physics Lab #1)
- 2011 Associate Professor at Principles of Informatics Research Revision, National Institute of Informatics/ Department of Informatics, School of Multidisciplinary Sciences, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies (SOKENDAI)
- array signal processing, source separation, source localization, acoustic signal processing, music signal processing, sensing and measurement, machine learning
- 2011 Inviting Prof. Laurent Daudet at Univ. Paris 7 as JSPS fellow (short-term)
- 2010-2012 VERSAMUS Project with INRIA METISS Group
- SPIE.DSS Unsupervised Learning ICA Pioneer Award (2015)
- IIHMSP Excellent Paper Award (2014)
"Robust Audio Information Hiding Based on Stereo Phase Difference in Time-frequency Domain"
- IEEE IS3C Best Paper Award (2014)
- The Highest Tolerance and Highest Sound Quality Award in the 2nd Watermarking Competition organized by Information Hidinc Criteria (IHC) committee (2013)
- SICE Measurement Division Best Paper Award (2013)
"Single-frame Surface Orientation Imager Using Triangular Three-phase Amplitude-modulated Illuminations and Correlation Image Sensor"
- WASPAA Best Paper Nominees (2011)
"Stable and Fast Update Rules for Independent Vector Analysis Based on Auxiliary Function Technique"
- IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE) Best Paper Award (2008)
"Spatio-temporal phase-encoding profilometry using correlation image sensor"
- The 24th Awaya Award of the Acoustic Society of Japan (ASJ) (2007)
"Time Delay Detection with Reliability Measure Based on Diffuse Sound Field Model under Reverberation Environment"
- The Igarashi Award of the Sensor and Micromachine Symposium Sponcered by the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan (IEEJ) (2004)
"Real-time 3D Imager Using Spatio-Temporal Phase Unwrapping"
- The Best Paper Award of the Pattern Measurement Symposium Sponsord by the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE) (2003)
- The 18th Young Authors Award of the Sensing Forum Sponsered by the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE) (2002)
"Theory and Experiment of Micro Sound Source Localization Sensor with Mimicking Ormia Ochracea"
- The 42th Sato Paper Award of the Acoustic Society of Japan (ASJ) (2000)
"A Theory of Filter Banks to Generate F0-Independent Interference Between Harmonics"
- the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE) Young Authors Award (1997)
"Logarithmic Differential Decomposition of Periodic Signals with Application to Subband Signal Analysis by Zeros"
- IEEE Audio and Acoustic Signal Processing Technical Committee Member (2014 Jan.- )
- International Workshop on Acoustic Singal Processing (IWAENC) Technical Commitee Member (2014- )
- IEEE Senior Member (2013 Apr.- )
- Associate editor of IEEE Tras. Audio, Speech and Language Signal Processing (ASLP) (2012 Jan.- )
- Associate editor of Acoustic Science and Technology (Musical acoustic field) (2011 Jun.- )
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee on Intersinging (2010)
- Member of the Technical Comittee of Psychological and Physiological Acoustics of the Acoustic Society of Japan (ASJ) (2009 Dec.-)
- Member of the Technical Committee on Engineering Acoustics of the Institute of Electronics, Information, and Communication Engineers (IEICE) (2008 May -)
- Sub-organizer of Symposium Session Tilted "Modeling and Representation of Acousitc Signals" at 2008 IEICE General Conferene (2008 Mar.)
- Secretary of the Technical Comittee of Psychological and Physiological Acoustics of the Acoustic Society of Japan (ASJ) (2006 Apr.-2009 Mar.)
- Reviewer of
- IEEE Trans. Audio and Language Signal Processing
- IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing
- IEICE Trans. Fundamentals
- IEICE Trans. Information and Systems
- Journal of the Acoustiic Society of Japan
- Trans. the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers
- Other International Conferences (ICASSP, EUSIPCO, WASPAA, Interspeech, etc)
- Tutorial Speaker (with Dr. Emmanuel Vincent) at the 2010 International Society for Music Information Retrieval Conference (ISMIR) (2010)
"Music source separation and its applications to MIR" part1 part2 (Open Software for Harmonic/Percussive Sound Separation (HPSS) is available here)
- Invited Speaker at the 3rd International Symposium on Medical, Bio- and Nano-Electronics (2008)
"Biomimicry Sound Source Localization Sensors"
- 2013-2015 Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B) (25280069) (17,030kJPY)
- 2011-2012 Grant-in-Aid for Challenging Exploratory Research (23650083) (3,640kJPY)
- 2009-2010 Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) (21760309) (4,550kJPY)
- 2006-2007 Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) (18760303) (3,600kJPY)
- 2004-2005 Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) (16760325) (3,300kJPY)
- 2002-2003 Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) (14750343) (3,700kJPY)
- 2002 Public Trust ONO Acoustic Research Aid (950kJPY)
- 2001 The Sound Technology Promotion Foundation Research Aid (1,500kJPY)
Memberships of Academic Societies
- Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society
- Member of the Acoustic Society of Japan (ASJ)
- Member of the Institute of Electronics, Information, and Communication Engineers (IEICE)
- Member of Information Processing Society of Japan (IPSJ)
- Member of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan (IEEJ)